Sweet and Savory Mother’s Day brunch recipes that are fairly easy to make and delicious! Many gluten, grain, and dairy free options as well!
Birthdays are nice because you get a whole day where your friends and family send you greetings, give you gifts, and are especially nice to you for the day. Well, when you’re a mother or father, you get another day in the year just like that! As a mom, Mother’s Day is a fun holiday. Our children/spouses are often willing to go above and beyond to make us feel extra special that day. My two kiddos usually tell me not to leave my bedroom in the morning. It’s supposed to be a surprise, but I know they plan to make me breakfast…I can hear the cabinets and drawers banging and pots and pans clanging as they attempt to locate all of the tools and ingredients needed to cook me a delicious meal.
And I get to lie in bed and read or catch up on my Netflix queue…ah, if only there were more days in the year like this!
Each year I’ve been served something delicious. It’s usually french toast with fresh fruit, as it’s one of my favorites and not too difficult to recreate, but I’ve also gotten loco moco, a popular breakfast/lunch in Hawaii, pancakes (simple and classic), or another favorite—sausage, eggs, and hash browns.
This Sausage and Veggie Frittata is a take on that combo, where sausage is sautéed with potatoes and veggies and then baked in beaten eggs. It creates a delicious quiche-like casserole that can be easily sliced and served. It’s just a matter of cooking everything up and then adding the egg mixture…not very difficult at all and it’s made in one pan too, meaning less mess, which is always a good thing!
Because these dishes are fairly simple, it means it leaves more time to do what’s really important—spend time with our family.
My husband and I are several states away from our parents, so unfortunately we usually don’t get to see them on these holidays. If you live near your family, I urge you to cherish this time with them. It’s something we can often take for granted until the opportunity is gone. Our relationships with our family and friends are truly what makes life so sweet.❤️
Happy Mother’s Day to all of the beautiful mothers out there!
French Toast & Fresh Fruit
- 8-10 slices brioche, challah, Hawaiian, or other bread of choice (gf sandwich bread or whole grain bread can be used also)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, if using a non-sweet bread
- Butter or coconut oil, for greasing pan
- Fresh fruit for serving (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, banana slices, etc.)
- Pure maple syrup
- In a shallow dish, beat egg with the milk and cinnamon. Add maple syrup if using an unsweetened bread. Set aside.
- Place a griddle or large skillet onto the stove over medium heat and grease well with butter or oil.
- Dip each side of the bread into the egg mixture and place onto the hot griddle. Flip after 1-2 minutes, when bottom is golden brown and cook the same on the other side. Remove cooked slices to a plate and repeat until all french toast is cooked.
- Serve with fresh fruit and pure maple syrup. Makes 4 servings.
Other Delicious Brunch Ideas: