This delicious one-pan sausage veggie breakfast is hearty, healthy, and easy to make. Full of protein and veggies, it makes a great meal for anytime of the day!
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I love how varied my options are. There’s oats, toast, or a smoothie for those mornings when I don’t feel like eating a heavy meal. Then there’s pancakes, french toast, or waffles when I’m craving something on the sweeter side.
Some mornings we like to make a big, hearty breakfast. This breakfast skillet is one of my favorite things to whip up on those days. It’s really very versatile and you can use any combination of ingredients you have on hand.
I add sausage to this skillet, but you can substitute with a veggie alternative, like tofu or mushrooms, or can omit the meat all together.
This dish is pretty fool-proof. You can use veggies you already have on hand interchangeably with any of the listed ingredients. Feel free to use white potatoes instead of the sweet or spinach instead of kale. Make it your own!
Make little pockets in the veggie mixture to hold the eggs. Crack an egg into each hole. If you have an oven-safe pan, you can cook the eggs under the broiler for a few minutes, until they’re cooked to your liking. If you don’t have an oven-safe pan or a broiler, just cover the pan with a lid and continue to cook the eggs on the stove.
Whatever combination of ingredients you end up using, this breakfast skillet is sure to be a crowd pleaser! It’s hearty, healthy, and most importantly, delicious! Enjoy, friends!
- 1 lb. ground turkey sausage, can omit or substitute with a veggie protein
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped veggies, I use whatever I have on hand. Tomato, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash all work well.
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3-6 eggs, as many or few as you want
- chopped parsley, optional garnish
- In a large, oven-proof skillet, grease bottom and sides of pan with coconut oil, ghee, or another oil of choice. Turn heat to medium, add sausage and brown lightly. Add cubed sweet potato, onion, and minced garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes then cover with a lid and let it cook for a few minutes, until the sweet potato is tender but still firm (not mushy.) Stir in your veggies, kale, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the kale begins to wilt. Turn off heat.
- With your cooking utensil, make little "wells" or pockets in the mixture to hold the egg. Crack an egg into each pocket and place under the broiler in the oven for 2-5 minutes or until the yolk is cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven and garnish with chopped parsley and additional salt and pepper, if needed. Makes 4-5 servings
- If you don't have an oven-safe skillet, you can continue to cook the eggs on the stove. Just cover the pan with a lid and cook the eggs for a few minutes, until the yolk is cooked to your liking.