These chocolate chip coconut oat bars are made with healthier ingredients and are free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar!
There’s nothing like the fragrance that comes from a sweet treat baking in the oven. It’s as if the aroma brings instant happiness to all who breathe it in. Do you remember the last time you were depressed while awaiting a delicious batch of cookies or brownies to finish baking? I surely don’t. 😉
These chocolate chip coconut oat bars are inspired by my Coconut Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies but made a little heartier by adding rolled oats and unsweetened coconut. They’re also free of refined sugar (aside from the chocolate), dairy, and gluten (if you’re not gluten-free then feel free to use regular flour instead.)
What I like about bars is that they’re almost like cookies, but with a lot less fuss. You can throw the dough into the pan and have almost a half and hour while they bake away to work on something else.
One bowl, one pan, made with healthier ingredients and they’re delicious! I really can’t think of a reason why you shouldn’t make these! These chocolate chip coconut oat bars are so good 🙂
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Rolled Oats, divided
- 1 cup Bobs Red Mill 1 To 1 Baking Flour (or regular Unbleached All-Purpose Flour if not gluten-free)
- 1 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 cup Coconut Sugar (brown sugar will also work)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup melted/liquid Coconut Oil (melted butter will also work)
- 2 eggs
- 2-4 tablespoons milk, just enough to get dough to hold together, if necessary (I used almond milk)
- 1 cup Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips (I like dark or semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment or grease well with coconut oil or baking spray and set aside.
- Take 1 cup of the rolled oats and grind in a coffee grinder or food processor to make oat flour. (You can also use all whole rolled oats in this, the bars will just have a more chunky texture.) Place the oat flour into a large mixing bowl, along with the rest of the whole oats, all-purpose flour, shredded coconut, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix together well and then stir in melted coconut oil and eggs. Depending on the flour you use (gf sometimes needs more moisture) you may need to add a splash of milk to bring the dough together. If your dough is crumbly, add milk a tablespoon at a time just until dough holds together.
- Scoop dough into your prepared pan and spread across evenly, pressing into the corners and sides of the pan to bake evenly. Place into preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center is set and the top of the bars are golden brown. Don't overbake. Remove from the oven and let cool thoroughly before cutting into bars. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in a cool place.