These pumpkin chocolate chip oat bars have chunks of chocolate and warm spices! The perfect fall time treat which is free of gluten, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar!
I’m one of those people who eat pumpkin year round. Pumpkin pie in March? Yes, please. Pumpkin pancakes in June? Don’t mind if I do. I don’t need a calendar to tell me it’s okay to enjoy certain flavors. Pshhh, I’ll eat what I want, when I want, thank you very much. Can you tell I have a bit of a rebellious spirit?? 😜
Well, since I just love pumpkin so much, you better believe we’re indulging even more now that pumpkin is in abundance…and on sale too!
I like just about any pumpkin treat, whether it be in the form of pie, cake, cookies, bars, or ice cream. My favorite pumpkin flavor combo has always been pumpkin and cream cheese, but lately I’ve been enjoying pumpkin with chocolate! I mean, what’s not to love? It’s two amazing flavors combined into one!
If you like chocolate chip cookies, you’re going to LOVE these bars! They taste very similar, but get extra flavor and moisture from the pumpkin puree and a subtle kick from the warm spices. Oh, and they’re dairy, egg, gluten, and refined sugar free, plus they’re just made with oats so they’re, like, technically a breakfast food. You’re welcome. 😉
- 1½ cups oat flour* (use gluten-free if needed)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup rolled oats (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1½ teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice, or additional cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, fresh or from a can (don't use pumpkin pie filling)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil or butter
- flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, plus more for top of batter (use dairy-free chocolate chips if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together dry ingredients—oat flour, coconut sugar, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Add pumpkin puree, coconut oil, flax egg, and vanilla extract, stirring until well combined. If mixture is too dry, add a splash of milk or water. Stir in chocolate chips and then spread batter into prepared pan. Top with additional chocolate chips and bake for 22–28 minutes, or just until center is set. Let cool before cutting into bars. Makes 9–12 bars, depending on how large you cut them. Store in an airtight container in a cool room for 2–3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
You may also enjoy these similar recipes: