These delicious double chocolate zucchini muffins are made with wholesome ingredients, including zucchini. Gluten, dairy, egg, and refined sugar free.
If you’ve been following along for any length of time, you’ll know that I’m quite the chocolate lover. Browsing through the recipe archives, chocolate is probably featured more than any other flavor. From Chocolate Chip Coconut Oat Bars and Chocolate Chia Pudding Pops to Chocolate Cake and Raw Espresso Brownie Truffles, you’ll find plenty of wholesome recipes on here to satisfy your chocolate craving, that’s for sure!
Here’s another to add to the list—Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins! These fudgy muffins are naturally sweetened and are super moist thanks to the addition of zucchini and mashed banana. They also contain some whole grains from rolled oats and flaxseed meal. These make awesome on-the-go snacks and would even suffice for dessert!
The recipe calls for a blend of gluten-free all-purpose (or regular all-purpose) flour and oat flour, which you can easily make yourself by grinding whole rolled oats in a food processor or coffee grinder. Just be sure to use certified gluten-free oats if you’re gluten sensitive.
I also added chocolate chips, but it’s optional. If you’re looking for a more natural/raw chocolate, try cacao nibs instead. Just keep in mind that that since they’re unprocessed they’re usually bitter, unsweetened (although I’ve seen Sweetened Cacao Nibs) and have a pure chocolate flavor.
Ultra fudgy, rich, moist, and subtly sweet, these muffins pack a lot of chocolate flavor into each bite! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! Be sure and watch the video below for the easy how-to!
- ¾ cup Gluten Free Oat Flour (I make mine by grinding rolled oats. Use gluten-free if needed)
- ¾ cup gf all-purpose blend or regular all-purpose flour (I used Bob's Red Mill 1 To 1 Baking Flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa
- 2 tablespoons Flaxseed Meal
- 1.5 teaspoons Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup packed shredded zucchini
- 2 tablespoons melted Coconut Oil or olive oil
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup or Honey
- 2-4 tablespoons almond milk, enough to get batter to hold together
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips plus extra for sprinkling on top, optional
- Whole Rolled Oats to sprinkle on top, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place paper liners into a 12 cup muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, cocoa powder, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add mashed banana, shredded zucchini, oil, sweetener and mix together. Add just enough milk to make a moist but thick batter (should be thick, but able to slide off a spoon.) Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour muffin batter into paper liners filling ⅔ full. Sprinkle the tops with extra chocolate chips and whole oats. Place pan onto the center rack of the preheated oven and bake for 18-22 minutes or until muffins tops are rounded and firm when gently pressed.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before removing from the pan. Makes 1 dozen.
You May Also Enjoy These Delicious Recipes: