These fudgy chocolate bars are made with wholesome ingredients, like oats and zucchini. They’re also vegan friendly and free of gluten, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar.
The middle of the week needs chocolate, and preferably something delicious and healthy-ish, so you can eat more and not feel bad about it. 😉 These double chocolate zucchini bars will definitely fit the bill. They’re made with only oat flour and rolled oats, so it’s technically like eating a bowl of oatmeal, although they’re fudgy, like a brownie! 😋 They also have a whole zucchini blended in, that you can’t even taste, btw. Ask my kids who have eaten half the pan and are none the wiser that they’re eating veggies with every bite!
In other news, I had my first physical therapy session this week. I felt fine afterwards, but then woke up in pain the next day. I googled it, because it the internet has all the answers 😜, and different sites said it was normal to be in more pain after exercising areas of your body that are injured and not as strong.
Since my condition is progressive, I have to be careful not to cause anymore harm to my neck, especially if I want to avoid surgery. Sometimes I feel like I should walk around in bubble wrap, lol! 😜
Anyway, I’m hoping things improve soon. I had been feeling much better and this regression is a little discouraging. At least I can find comfort in these chocolate bars, amiright?! 🙃
You need these double chocolate zucchini bars in your life! They make the perfect afternoon snack, dessert, or I dare say, breakfast! I mean, it is like a giant bowl of oatmeal after all! 😜
- 1½ cups oat flour* (use gluten free if needed)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup rolled oats (use gluten free oats if needed)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 packed cup finely shredded zucchini, not drained
- ½ cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil, butter, or other oil of choice
- flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, plus more for top of batter (use dairy-free chocolate chips if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together dry ingredients—oat flour, coconut sugar, rolled oats, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add shredded zucchini, milk, coconut oil, flax egg, and vanilla extract, stirring until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips and then spread batter into prepared pan. Top with additional chocolate chips and bake for 25–30 minutes, or just until center is set. Let cool before cutting into bars. Makes 9–16 bars, depending on how large you cut them. Store in an airtight container in a cool room for 2–3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.