This Patriotic DIY Fruit Pizza Platter features star shaped cookies with cream cheese frosting and an array of fruit to decorate your own mini fruit pizzas! The cookies and frosting are vegan friendly and free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar as well!
The Fourth of July has always been a big thing in my family. My grandfather, uncle, dad, sister, brother, and several other family members, as well as friends, have either served or are currently serving in the U.S. military. Growing up, we would typically grill out with family and friends and then head over to the local military base to watch a big firework show in the evening. It’s something we look forward to every year—celebrating this great country and the freedom that comes with the privilege to live here.
As much as I love to travel to other countries, I’m always happy to come back home to the good ole’ US of A where everyone speaks English, the bathrooms are free, and Super Target exists.
As cheesy as it might be, I love to reinforce the patriotic theme with red, white, and blue foods. While it’s not as easy to create savory foods, like burgers and such in those colors, (although I do have a red, white, and blue-ish potato salad) patriotic desserts are super simple and even fun to create!
It’s also nice to show up to a Fourth of July cookout or get together with a pretty and festive dessert, like this Patriotic DIY Fruit Pizza Platter. It has everything you need to make your own mini fruit pizza and just so happens to resemble the American flag. You could easily customize this platter by using fruit in other colors and any shape cutter for the cookies to serve at any event, like birthday parties, showers, etc.
These mini fruit pizza cookies are not only cute, but also delicious and pretty healthy too! Everything is vegan friendly, refined sugar free, and includes a gluten-free option as well! If you make this, please tag me on Instagram so I can see your recreations! Be sure to scroll down to see some other patriotic dessert ideas! Have a happy and safe 4th, my friends! 🇺🇸
- 1-2 recipes Simple Cut Out Cookies
- 12-16 oz container raspberries, or other red fruit of choice
- 16 oz container strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 pound pitted cherries, or other red fruit of choice
- 6 oz blueberries
- 6 oz blackberries or extra blueberries
- 8 oz. cream cheese or dairy-free cream cheese, softened
- 2–4 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener of choice, use more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Follow the recipe for my Simple Cut Out Cookies, using medium–large star cutters (I used these Wilton Stars Nesting Metal Cutter Set for the larger cookies and for the smaller cookies I used cutters similar to these) I used 1 recipe in photos above, but 2 would provide extra cookies to refill the platter.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat softened cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sweetener, and vanilla extract together until fluffy. Taste and add additional sweetener as needed.
- I recommend using a rectangular tray, small baking sheet, or serving platter if you plan to transport this dessert. You can also use a large cutting board if it will stay in one place.
- Place the sliced strawberries in a row at the bottom of the platter. Place another row of red fruit in the middle of the platter. Place the final row of red fruit at the top covering ⅔ of the right side, leaving ⅓ open for the blueberries.
- For the "white" stripes, place a row of cookies in between each of the red rows of fruit.
- Finish the platter by filling the top left corner with the blueberries/blackberries. You can choose to add a small dish of the cream cheese frosting to the platter or leave it on the side and fill in the rest of the white stripe with additional cookies.
- For serving, people will take a cookie, spread some frosting on top and then top with fruit of choice. Makes about 20-30 mini pizzas with 1 cookie recipe (depending on how large and thick you make the cookies.)