This easy hot cocoa is simple to make and so delicious! It’s decadent, yet free of dairy, gluten, & grains. Paleo and vegan friendly too.
In the winter time, I usually keep a mug of some hot drink in hand at all times. Coffee is my morning drink, followed by my cup of tea in the afternoon. The evening is saved for hot chocolate, which we always make homemade and sip on while we watch cheesy holiday movies. There’s just something so cozy about big mug of cocoa, especially while snuggled under a fluffy blanket! I’ve been waiting for the temps to drop so we can enjoy the fireplace too, but it’s been 60+ degrees here, so the only fireplace we’ve been able to use is the one on Netflix. 🙄
This hot chocolate is a family favorite. It’s perfect as is, but even better with a big dollop of coconut whipped cream on top. My daughter, who doesn’t like coconut, likes a handful of marshmallows in hers instead. Whichever version you prefer, this classic hot chocolate is simple, decadent, and comforting, like a big hug in a mug! Enjoy!
- ⅓–1/2 cup coconut sugar or natural cane sugar (use more or less to taste)
- ¼–1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (use more for a richer tasting hot chocolate. Can also use semi-sweet or milk chocolate if you prefer)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups almond milk or other milk of choice
- coconut whipped cream, optional (recipe below)
- chocolate shavings, optional
- Place chocolate, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt into a large saucepan and whisk until well blended. Pour in milk and stir until blended. Heat over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until chocolate and sugar are dissolved, about 4–5 minutes.
- Pour hot chocolate into mugs and top with coconut whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Makes 2–3 servings.
- Scoop hardened coconut cream out of the can and place into a mixing bowl. Discard or reserve the liquid left in the can for another purpose.
- Add sweetener and vanilla and beat with an hand mixer until fluffy. Top each mug of hot chocolate with a scoop of whipped coconut cream.
You may also enjoy these similar recipes: