Rich lavender hot chocolate naturally sweetened and infused with lavender buds. Dairy, gluten, and refined sugar free! It’s so delicious!
Hot chocolate is one of those treats I love to indulge in around the holidays. Nothing beats a cup of homemade cocoa—and by homemade, I don’t mean the little packets of Swiss Miss. Milk, chocolate, and a touch of sweetener are all you need to make a delicious cup of your own. However, if you really want to jazz it up, infuse a bit of lavender into your milk before adding the other ingredients!
Folks, I’m telling you, this cocoa is so delicious! It’s thick and creamy with a hint of fragrant lavender. It’s also free of dairy and refined sugar!
Dried, culinary lavender may not be the easiest to find in your local grocery store, however, if your store has items in bulk bins which are sold by weight, like nuts, grains, and herbs, check there near the herbs to see if they just might have lavender. This is where I usually find mine and about a quarter cupful is only a few cents. If you have trouble finding it locally, you’ll definitely be able to order it online. I provided a link in the recipe to a good and inexpensive source. 😊
After I strain my milk, I like to froth it a bit with a milk frother. This is not necessary, but it makes it thick and foamy. If you don’t have one, after straining just pour the hot milk directly into the chocolate mixture. I would highly recommend getting a frother though, if you can. They’re only a few dollars and are great to foam milk for hot chocolate, coffee, or to make cappuccinos. I use mine all the time and it really makes a plain drink extra fancy. You can find one similar to mine HERE.
With very minimal, healthy ingredients, you’ll be able to make this treat very often. Would also be perfect to serve to your family and friends this holiday season! Hope you enjoy it!
Never miss out on new recipes like this one by following me on:
Instagram | Facebook | PinterestPrint
Lavender Hot Chocolate
- Total Time: 5 mins
Rich hot chocolate naturally sweetened and infused with lavender buds. Dairy, gluten, and refined sugar free!
- 3/4 cup almond milk or other milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons full-fat Coconut Milk (you can also use plain, non-dairy creamer or extra almond milk)
- 1–2 tablespoons Maple Syrup, Honey or other sweetener of choice, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Culinary Lavender
- 1 tablespoons dairy-free dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- pinch of salt
- Combine milks, maple syrup, and lavender in a small pot or microwavable mug. Heat to a low simmer over the stove or 1.5–2 minutes in the microwave (or until very hot.) Remove from heat and let steep for 2-3 minutes. If you want a stronger lavender taste, use the back of a fork to mash the lavender against the side of the pot/mug in the milk. Strain milk though a mesh sieve to catch all the lavender and discard remaining buds.
- Meanwhile, combine chopped chocolate, cocoa, and pinch of salt in a mug. Pour a couple of tablespoons of hot milk into the chocolate and mix until smooth. Use a Milk Frother or hand blender to froth remaining hot milk. Pour into the chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Makes one serving.
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Drink, Dairy-Free
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and purchase an item, I may receive a small commission on your purchase. It doesn’t affect the cost of the product at all and gives me the ability to pay for and maintain this blog. I never link to products that I wouldn’t use myself. Thank you so much for your support!
I must try it. Great recipe, amazing photos, perfect idea for chilly days. Thanks for sharing.
This recipe looks so tasty. I admit to cheating and making hot cocoa out of the powder packets or the Keurig. This will be perfect to make for the holidays, especially if you have family attending.
Lavender and hot cocoa, who knew?! So excited to try this, Joscelyn!! Lavender is actually my favorite scent, and chocolate, well, do I even need to say?? Haha! Yummy:-)
I would have never thought to include lavender but I bet it tastes absolutely delicious.
Lauren White says
I’ve never had lavender before but this looks delicious. And your pictures are beautiful — what camera/editing do you use?
WOW! This sounds so delicious and amazing clicks.. Loved it!
This looks FANTASTIC. You know we have some lavender left in our front garden. Something for the weekend I think.
Thanks for sharing.
Lori Hill-Smith says
Sounds delish! Can’t wait to try it!!
Stacey @ Stacey homemaker says
I never thought of adding lavender to my hot chocolate before, but I bet gives it a whole new flavor layer! I’m sure I will fall in love with it just like I do with all off your recipes, Joscelyn!
Leslie Rossi says
This look yummy! I love lavender anything 🙂
OMG Drooling! I love those pictures and I bet the recipe is delicious…
Marsha | Marsha's Baking Addiction says
This hot chocolate looks absolutely divine! I bet the lavender takes it to a whole new level!
Wow, this looks so great! I too tire of the Swiss Miss and same old hot chocolate. I never thought to try lavender. I will have to make this for family and friends.
Anu-My Ginger Garlic Kitchen says
Lavender hot chocolate? This is such a fabulous idea, Joscelyn. And that mug looks sinfully delicious. How I wish to grab that warmth in my palms right away. Super yummy!
great recipe! Perfect for the cold weather!