These vegan chocolate chip muffins are delicious, refined sugar free, and includes a gluten-free option! They only call for a few, wholesome ingredients and are simple to whip up!
Sometimes I can’t decide between chocolate chip cookies or cake. In my mind, I go back and forth—cookies, cake, cookies, cake, cookies….MUFFINS!! Yes, these chocolate chip muffins are my cookie/cake compromise! They have the flavor of chocolate chip cookies, but with a fluffy, cake-like texture. Truly the best of both worlds!
What I love about these muffins is that they’re made with wholesome ingredients, like oats, coconut sugar, and avocado oil, but super delicious. So, whether you enjoy them for breakfast or dessert is totally up to you!
These past few weeks, my family and I have been planning our summer vacation. We had the hardest time narrowing down our options too. We visited London, Paris, and several cities in Italy on our most recent Europe trip in 2018, so we wanted to do something a little different. We looked into Australia for a while, but a rough itinerary showed we wanted to see waaaaay too many things to fit into two weeks! We’ll have to try to go for at least three weeks in order see all of the different cities, including a trip up north to dive the Great Barrier Reef!
In the end, we picked Hawaii! I’m from Oahu, so I’m always excited to go back “home”, although we decided to try a couple of new islands this time. We’ll start with a week in Kauai and spend the second week on the Big Island, just hiking, snorkeling, sun bathing, shopping, and of course EATING our way through the islands! It’ll be a nice time away to celebrate my birthday and my son’s high school graduation—such a big milestone!
Anyway, it was nice to have this yummy treat to snack on while we planned our time away! I hope you get a chance to give these delicious muffins a try!!
- 1¼ cup gluten-free oat flour (made by grinding gf rolled oats)
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour or regular unbleached all-purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup almond milk or other milk of choice
- ⅓ cup avocado oil, olive oil, or other oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 425º F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Add ¾ cup chocolate chips and stir just until incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full with the batter. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the batter in each muffin cup.
- Place pan onto the middle rack and bake at 425º for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350º and continue to bake for another 12–15 minutes, or until muffins are slightly domed and toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let muffins cool slightly in the pan before removing. Makes 12 muffins.
- Loosely adapted from The Joy of Vegan Baking cookbook.
You may also enjoy these similar recipes: