These pancakes are a yummy way to use up those sweet summer berries! Vegan friendly with gluten free and refined sugar free options!
I’m not usually much of a morning person…that is, unless I have something to get excited about. For instance, a delicious breakfast alongside my favorite mug full of strong coffee. Mmm, now that’s how you start the day off right.
If I had it my way, I’d eat pancakes for breakfast every single morning. That is, if my hips would let me. 🙄 Why can’t bread-y things be healthy like salad? And eating pizza, yeast rolls, and croissants would be like eating spinach, kale, broccoli. I’d seriously be one of the healthiest eaters out there! 😜
Oh well, it’s okay to eat on occasion, which equals a couple times a week in my book. 🙂 And these are pretty wholesome with fresh ingredients, including a few pantry staples and natural sweetener. I only sweeten the strawberry sauce lightly, so it’s not sugar laden like most of the sauces served in restaurants, but still plenty delicious.
Any leftover sauce would be amazing on ice cream, brownies, or both! I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour or gf flour blend
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, maple syrup, or other sweetener of choice
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- strawberry slices (from about 7–8 strawberries)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 2–4 tablespoons sugar, maple syrup, or other sweetener of choice, to taste
- Combine milk and vinegar in a glass dish and set aside to sour.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in sour milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Lightly grease a non-stick skillet/griddle and place over medium heat. When pan is hot, pour batter by the ¼ cupfuls a few inches apart. Top each pancake with 3–4 strawberry slices. Once the bottom is cooked, flip and cook the other side until done. Makes 7–8 (5-inch) pancakes.
- Mix together water and cornstarch until dissolved. Pour cornstarch mixture into a small saucepan, along with strawberries and sweetener, and cook over medium/high heat. If fruit is sweet, use less sweetener, and more if fruit is tart. Taste midway through cooking and add additional sweetener if needed.
- Use a wooden spoon to gently mash some of the berries as they cook. Continue to cook until berries are tender and sauce has thickened, about 4–5 minutes.