These pancakes are a yummy way to use up those sweet summer berries! Vegan friendly with gluten free and refined sugar free options!
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or gf flour blend
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, maple syrup, or other sweetener of choice
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- strawberry slices (from about 7–8 strawberries)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 2–4 tablespoons sugar, maple syrup, or other sweetener of choice, to taste
- Combine milk and vinegar in a glass dish and set aside to sour.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in sour milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Lightly grease a non-stick skillet/griddle and place over medium heat. When pan is hot, pour batter by the 1/4 cupfuls a few inches apart. Top each pancake with 3–4 strawberry slices. Once the bottom is cooked, flip and cook the other side until done. Makes 7–8 (5-inch) pancakes.
Strawberry Sauce: (Optional)
- Mix together water and cornstarch until dissolved. Pour cornstarch mixture into a small saucepan, along with strawberries and sweetener, and cook over medium/high heat. If fruit is sweet, use less sweetener, and more if fruit is tart. Taste midway through cooking and add additional sweetener if needed.
- Use a wooden spoon to gently mash some of the berries as they cook. Continue to cook until berries are tender and sauce has thickened, about 4–5 minutes.
- Category: Breakfast, Vegan, Gluten-Free