These delicious one-bowl brownies are super fudgy and simple to make, yet vegan friendly with gluten-free and refined sugar free options.
I’ve always been a sucker for brownies. I like cake too, but when it comes to brownies, fudgy is where it’s at. You can keep the cakey ones. I typically go right for the center brownie (I’m not much into edges either) so you can usually tell when I’ve gotten to the pan first when there’s a giant hole in the center of the brownies!
These brownies are simple to make, need only one bowl, and have the option to be vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free too! I’ve used both organic cane sugar and coconut sugar in this recipe, and they’re both delicious. The coconut sugar seems to make the brownies slightly more fluffy than regular sugar does, but they’re still very yummy!
These brownies get their fudge factor, not from eggs, but from melted chocolate, yogurt, and oat flour. The oat flour helps to bind the batter, but you don’t have to buy oat flour just to make these. I just grind rolled oats in my coffee grinder and it works perfectly fine. I never buy oat flour anymore.
After several attempts to make a fudgy gf + vegan friendly brownie, I’m so happy with the way these turned out! I hope you give them a try and enjoy them for yourself!
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup + ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- ½ cup organic cane sugar or coconut sugar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened yogurt (regular or dairy free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- ¼ cup oat flour (can be made by grinding rolled oats)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brewed coffee or water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8" or 9" square pan with parchment paper or grease lightly and set aside.
- Place butter and 1 cup chocolate chips into a microwaveable bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals until chocolate and butter are melted.
- Stir in sugar, yogurt, and vanilla. Add flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and coffee/water, continuing to stir until batter is smooth. Fold in remaining ½ cup chocolate chips then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, until center is just slightly jiggly. Remove and let cool 15–20 minutes before cutting. Makes 9–12 bars, depending on how you cut them.