These simple bars are made with wholesome ingredients and paleo + vegan friendly. Perfect for breakfast, dessert, or an afternoon snack. Gluten, grain, egg, dairy, and refined sugar free.
The weather is finally starting to get warmer, which means we’ve been spending as much time as we can outdoors soaking up the sun! I’m not looking forward to the heat of the summer, but I’ll take this 60-70º weather any day. We sometimes stay out for hours, I just make sure to pack up lots of water and snacks to keep us fueled. I love packing snacks like these fruit filled crumb bars, because they’re filling and easy to make too.
These bars were inspired by my blackberry oat bars. I was recently asked by a reader if I had a grain-free version of them here on the site, so I quickly whipped up a batch to test the bars without the oat flour. I was impressed by how delicious these were, and even better that they’re naturally paleo and vegan friendly! You’d never know they were free of grains, gluten, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar; you’ll just know they’re good!
Although these are great with fresh fruit, I actually made them with frozen mixed berries, so they really can be made all throughout the year. Berries are an easy choice, but think of all the other possibilities—cherries, peaches, rhubarb, cranberry, etc. These are mildly sweetened, so feel free to adjust the sweetener to suit your taste.
These bars are the yummiest way to welcome the warmer weather! They’re such a great treat to bring to get togethers and barbecues too. I hope you enjoy them!
- 2½ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1–3 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper (or lightly grease) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend together almond flour, tapioca flour, and salt. Add melted coconut oil and maple syrup, blending until well incorporated. Add water a teaspoon at a time, if necessary, until mixture holds together when pinched between two fingers.
- Press ⅔ of mixture crumble mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, reserving ⅓ of the mixture for the topping.
- In a separate bowl, combine berries, maple syrup, and tapioca flour. Pour berry mixture over the crust, evenly distributing throughout the pan. Sprinkle the remaining ⅓ crumble mixture evenly over the top of the berries.
- Place pan into the preheated oven, baking until crust is golden and berries are bubbly, about 30–40 minutes using fresh fruit, 40–55 minutes with frozen (time may vary depending on your oven.)
- Let bars cool thoroughly before cutting into squares. Makes 12–16 bars. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.