This simple black forest cake has layers of rich chocolate cake topped with a delicious cherry sauce and whipped cream. It’s a yummy combo and a great way to use up the abundance of cherries during cherry season! Gluten-free, refined sugar free, and vegan options included!
Chocolate and cherries are so delicious together, don’t you think? It reminds me of these chocolate covered cherries my late grandmother used to love. She’d ask for them each Christmas.
Although I’ve never been a fan of those sickeningly sweet chocolates, I love pairing fresh cherries with dark chocolate!
This cake is just that, dark chocolate cake layered with fresh cherry sauce and whipped cream. So yummy!
- Chocolate Cake—this chocolate cake has dark cocoa powder to give it that rich flavor. I even use coffee to enhance it further. It can easily be made refined sugar free using coconut sugar and it’s naturally egg free and dairy free.
- Cherry Sauce—I top each layer with this homemade cherry sauce, but if you’re in a pinch, canned cherries/cherry pie filling can be used, as can fresh pitted cherries mixed with a little maple syrup or sugar!
- Whipped Cream—any whipped cream can be used, whether it’s vegan coco whip or homemade whipped cream!
I hope you enjoy this cake as much as we did! Let me know if you give it a try!
You may also enjoy these similar recipes:
- These cherry chocolate chip bars are made with wholesome ingredients and are vegan friendly, as well as refined sugar free and gluten free. Perfect and simple dessert to make and share all summer long!
- These vegan friendly cherry chocolate chip pancakes are full of juicy cherries and pockets of melty chocolate. They’re made even more delicious with a simple maple sweetened cherry sauce! Refined sugar free with gluten-free option.
- This chocolate-raspberry layer cake is delicious and vegan friendly! It has a generous layer of a raspberry chia filling and a fluffy chocolate frosting!