These vegan friendly cherry chocolate chip pancakes are full of juicy cherries and pockets of melty chocolate. They’re made even more delicious with a simple maple sweetened cherry sauce! Refined sugar free with gluten-free option.
You can probably tell by my recipe page that we’re definitely fans of pancakes around here. Whether they’re plain, full of juicy blueberries, or taste like apple fritters, we love them just about any way, as long as they’re piled high and topped with a yummy sauce or syrup!
It’s cherry season, so we’ve been keeping pounds of fresh cherries in stock, for munching on, baking with, or adding to chocolate chia pudding! On a whim one day, I added a handful to my pancake batter, along with some chocolate chips, and it was the best.thing.ever! There’s just something special about cherries and chocolate, don’t you agree? Especially when cooked inside of a fluffy pancake! AND topped with a warm cherry sauce makes it even better!
These pancakes are free of gluten, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar. They’re super simple to throw together and make the best use of this delicious summer fruit!
- 1–3 tablespoons coconut oil, avocado oil, or other cooking oil, for coating the pan pan
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk or other milk of choice* (see note)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or a good cup for cup gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (NOT baking soda!)
- generous pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other cooking oil, plus more for pan (Can also use melted dairy-free butter)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- ½–3/4 cup cherries, pitted and halved
- ¼–1/3 cup chocolate chips, to taste
- dairy-free butter, to spread on pancakes
- cherry sauce, recipe below (optional)
- 2 cups cherries, pitted (I used some whole, some halved)
- 2–3 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener, to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine milk and vinegar. Let sour while you combine other ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and sour milk, stirring just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and cherries. Don't over-stir as this creates tough pancakes.
- Lightly grease a non-stick pan or griddle and place over medium heat. When hot, add pancake batter by the ¼ cupfuls, flipping after a minute or so, when edges are set and a few bubbles appear at the surface. Makes 6–8 pancakes, depending on how big you make them. Serve with cherry sauce.
- In a bowl, stir together water and cornstarch to make a slurry. Set aside.
- Place pitted cherries in a small saucepan and mix in maple syrup and water/starch slurry. Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and gently mash cherries to release juices. Continue to cook until sauce begins to thicken, about 3–5 minutes. Stir continuously to keep sauce from burning. Add a little more water if sauce gets too thick. Serve warm with pancakes. Refrigerate leftovers.