Delicious, bakery-style chocolate chunk cookies with large bites of melty chocolate throughout. Vegan friendly with refined sugar free option.
- ½ cup (105 g) coconut oil or regular/dairy-free butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (68 g) cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (85 g) dark brown sugar (packed) or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) almond milk or other milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (210g) spelt flour (can also use all-purpose or half spelt/half all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon salt (cut in half if using salted butter)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6–8 oz dairy-free semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks or chips
- flaked sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick mat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine melted oil/butter with sugar(s) until smooth. Add milk and vanilla extract, stirring until well blended.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking soda, and then fold in chocolate chunks/chips. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. About 10 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Scoop dough onto cookie sheet, either in 2 tablespoon or 1/4 cup increments, depending on how big you want your cookies, leaving space between for spreading.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden around the edges. Slightly cool on the pan before transferring to a cooling rack. Makes 1–2 dozen, depending on size.
- Prep Time: 35 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: dessert, cookies, vegan