Delicious, bakery-style chocolate chunk cookies with large bites of melty chocolate throughout. Vegan friendly with refined sugar free option!
My hubby left for Australia for work this week so I started baking to keep my mind occupied. Do you worry when your spouse or child is away from home? It was even harder since he doesn’t have international data and I can’t call to see where he is or how he’s doing. Even though we’ve been together more than twenty years, I’m still so in love with him and miss him dearly when he’s away. We met when I was fourteen and have been best friends ever since.
I’ve been baking up a storm all week! I made batches and batches of chocolate chip cookies using different combinations of ingredients—coconut oil, butter, dairy-free butter, and all-purpose, spelt, and buckwheat flours. My favorite was butter and spelt, but let’s face it, they’re chocolate chip cookies, so they were all delish!
I ate my fill of chocolate chip cookies while watching my hubby’s Marco Polo (the app) video messages of Australia. Such a beautiful place!
He needs to hurry and come back home soon though, because I’m testing brownie recipes tomorrow and muffins the day after that!
All I need now are some volunteers to come over and help me eat all of this before I eat it myself, haha! 😆
- ½ cup (105 g) coconut oil or regular/dairy-free butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (68 g) cane sugar or coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup (85 g) dark brown sugar (packed) or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) almond milk or other milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (210g) spelt flour (can also use all-purpose or half spelt/half all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon salt (cut in half if using salted butter)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6–8 oz dairy-free semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks or chips
- flaked sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick mat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine melted oil/butter with sugar(s) until smooth. Add milk and vanilla extract, stirring until well blended.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking soda, and then fold in chocolate chunks/chips. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. About 10 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Scoop dough onto cookie sheet, either in 2 tablespoon or ¼ cup increments, depending on how big you want your cookies, leaving space between for spreading.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden around the edges. Slightly cool on the pan before transferring to a cooling rack. Makes 1–2 dozen, depending on size.
You may also enjoy these similar recipes: