This is my version of my favorite candy from Hawaii. It only has a few ingredients and is made a little healthier by use dates instead of sugar for the caramel. It requires no special tools and they’re ready in less than an hour!
- 1.5 cups pitted Dates
- warm water, if needed for blending
Vegan Caramel Macadamia Nut Bites:
- Place your dates into a food processor and pulse until broken up. Continue to blend until it becomes a smooth paste. If it’s too thick and won’t blend, add warm water a tablespoon at a time until smooth, though it should still be thick enough to form a ball (see photo above.)
- Scoop mixture by the heaping tablespoon and place onto a tray lined with a piece of wax or parchment paper. I got exactly 18 caramel rounds, but amount may vary based upon how large you scoop them. Make them as big or as little as you’d like!
- After you have the caramel scooped out, cover the top with chopped macadamia nuts. I like macadamia nuts, so I add a lot.
- Place pan into the fridge or freezer for 30 minutes or until chilled and slightly firm. At this point you can make the mounds pretty and shape them into a ball or leave them in a disc shape. It’s all personal preference.
- When the caramel/nut bites are chilled and ready to be dipped, begin melting the chocolate. Place chocolate in a double-boiler over boiling water. Stir the chocolate consistently until melted and smooth. Alternatively, you can microwave in a heat-safe bowl on medium power in 30 second intervals until melted. Be careful not to overheat or you can ruin the chocolate.
- As soon as the chocolate is melted and smooth, begin dipping the caramel mounds into the chocolate and use a spoon to cover the top with chocolate.
- Lift the chocolate covered caramels out of the bowl with a fork and tap the fork against the bowl to drain any excess chocolate before placing back on the parchment paper. Repeat until all the caramels have been dipped.
- Sprinkle a bit of flaked sea salt on top and place into the fridge to cool. Store in a container in the fridge to keep fresh. Let come to room temperature before serving.
- Category: Dessert, Vegan