These pancakes are simple to make and delicious, whether you’re vegan or not! Dairy, egg, and refined sugar free with a gluten-free option.
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk or other milk of choice* (see note)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or cup for cup gluten-free flour blend I use King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (NOT baking soda!)
- generous pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other cooking oil, plus more for pan (Can also use melted dairy-free butter)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, sugar, or other sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- dairy-free butter, to spread on pancakes
- In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine milk and vinegar. Let sour while you combine other ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and sour milk, stirring just until combined. Don’t over-stir as this creates tough pancakes. If batter is too thick, a little more milk may be needed (see note.)
- Lightly grease a non-stick pan or griddle and place over medium heat. When hot, add pancake batter by the 1/4 cupfuls, flipping after a minute or so, when edges are set and a few bubbles appear at the surface. Makes 6–8 pancakes, depending on how big you make them. Serves 2–3.
*Depending on the flour you use, a little more milk may be needed to get the right consistency. Gluten-free flour tends to need a little more liquid. Add an additional 1–3 tablespoons of milk, if needed, to thin the batter. You want it to be thick, yet pourable!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Vegan