Tender sweet potatoes stuffed with a delicious blend of stir-fried veggies and chicken, topped with a spicy peanut sauce. Can easily be made vegetarian/vegan by omitting the meat.
- 3–4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean (I used purple sweet potatoes, but any potato will do. One per person)
- 2–3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided (I like avocado or coconut oil)
- 1 lb. boneless/skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size strips (about 2 or 3 breasts) Omit for vegan/vegetarian version.
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 small head red or green cabbage, sliced thin (about 1–1.5 cups)
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1 cup cooked edamame, shelled
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, optional garnish
- chopped green onion, optional garnish
Spicy Peanut Sauce:
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce – use tamari or coconut aminos if gluten-free
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canned, full-fat coconut milk, more may be needed if you want it thinner
- 2–4 tablespoons honey, to taste
- 1/2–2 tablespoons sriracha sauce, more or less to taste (can also use a few pinches of crushed red pepper instead)
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
To Bake Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Coat the skin of the potatoes with a little oil or butter before baking. Pierce a few times with a fork or knife and wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 90 minutes, or until fork-tender. Alternatively, you can microwave potatoes in a covered microwave safe glass dish with a splash of water at the bottom to help steam. Cook on medium or medium-high power between 7-10 minutes per potato. Check every few minutes and remove when fork-tender. Don’t overcook.
To Make Stir-Fry:
- In a large pan or wok add 1 tablespoon cooking oil and sauté chicken over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until center is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper and remove to a covered dish.
- Return the pan to the heat and add an additional drizzle of oil, if needed. Add bell pepper, carrots, cabbage, and onions to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger and cook a few more minutes until carrots are almost tender. Mix in spinach, edamame, and return cooked chicken to the pan. Squeeze lime juice over the veggies, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and stir to coat. Continue to cook until spinach is wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
To Make Peanut Sauce:
- In a medium bowl or blender, mix together all listed sauce ingredients from peanut butter to ginger. Add additional coconut milk to thin and adjust seasonings to taste after blending (extra spice, honey, etc.)
Putting It Together:
- Cut a slit lengthwise down each potato, open and fluff the inside with a fork. Drizzle some peanut sauce into each potato and top with a generous serving of the stir-fry. Drizzle additional peanut sauce onto each stuffed potato and serve.
- Category: Meal, Healthy