A deliciously homemade sweet cornbread with adaptations to make it gluten, dairy, and egg free, as well as vegan! Great for just about any occasion!
There are conflicting opinions of what makes a good cornbread. Sweet or not sweet, with flour or without. My southern grandmother grew up in small town in North Carolina and she taught me how to make cornbread the way she grew up eating it—not sweet and made with all cornmeal. Although I appreciated the taste of this southern style cornbread, I would eat it with some butter and honey, to give it the sweetness I love. Sometimes we would go to a country style restaurant which served sweet cornbread muffins. They tasted like yellow cupcakes and I couldn’t get enough of those things! (Of course, anything which resembles the taste of dessert would be my favorite:)
This homemade sweet cornbread isn’t quite that bad. It’s a happy medium between traditional cornbread and cake. I mean, although I like cake I don’t really want to eat it with my chili! I included different ingredient options to make this gluten-free or regular, with eggs or without. It can also be made totally vegan by using non-dairy butter or coconut oil and flax meal for the eggs. It’s still totally delicious:) Hope you enjoy it, friends!
So where are you on the big cornbread debate? Do you like it sweetened or not?
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free cup for cup flour blend (regular all-purpose flour will work also)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup melted grass-fed/dairy-free butter or coconut oil, or other oil of choice (use refined coconut oil to eliminate the coconut flavor)
- ¼ - ½ cup honey, pure maple syrup, or agave (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1 cup plain almond milk, or other milk
- 1 egg (for egg-free use flax egg: 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tablespoons water)
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in melted butter, sweetener, milk, and eggs/flax egg and mix just until incorporated with the dry ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased 9x9 pan and bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Use this cornbread recipe to make this easy and delicious Slow Cooker Cornbread Stuffing!