Moist and fluffy biscuits made with a blend of gluten-free flours and sweet potatoes. Slather warm biscuits with some sweet cinnamon butter to upgrade the taste factor!
For The Biscuits
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold grass-fed or dairy-free butter such as Earth Balance*
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
For The Cinnamon Butter
- 1/2 cup grass-fed or dairy-free butter such as Earth Balance*
- 3 tablespoons honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar*
- 1/2–1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (depending on how much cinnamon you like)
- Preheat oven to 450F. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, flax meal, and salt. Cut butter into the flour mixture until it becomes coarse and crumbly. Add maple syrup, sweet potato, and milk, stirring just until combined. Don’t overmix. You want just enough liquid to make it hold together. If dough is too dry though, add an extra 1-2 tablespoons of milk. Just be careful not to add too much liquid. It will make the dough really sticky and biscuits will be flatter.
- Roll dough out onto parchment paper or surface lightly dusted with potato/tapioca starch. Roll or pat dough into a flat 1-inch thick circle. The thicker you cut the biscuits, the fluffier the biscuits will be after they bake. Using a 2-inch round cutter or the rim of a round drinking glass, cut as many biscuits as you can from the dough. When finished, gather the scraps and gently press the dough back together and cut more biscuits. Continue to do this until all the dough is used up, should get 10-12 biscuits. Place biscuits closely together on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased with coconut oil. Bake at 450F for 10-12 minutes or until the edge of biscuits begin to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Best served warm.
To make the cinnamon butter
- In a small bowl, use a fork or an electric mixer to mix together the butter, sweetener of choice, and cinnamon until well combined. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- *Use dairy free butter and maple syrup or coconut sugar to make these vegan.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 12