These superfood overnight oats is my go-to when I want quick, healthy, and hearty breakfast! It’s easy to throw together the night before and is full of wholesome ingredients. Vegan friendly, but be sure to use certified gluten-free oats to make this totally gf as well!
I know overnight oats aren’t anything new, but I wanted to add the recipe to the version I make most often. It’s packed with nutrition and makes a quick + delicious breakfast on busy mornings. If you aren’t familiar with overnight oats, it’s basically raw oats that are soaked in liquid for several hours until the oats absorb the liquid and softened without having to be cooked.
Soaking the oats is beneficial because it helps break the starches down and reduces the natural phytic acid—a natural substance found in plant seeds that impairs the absorption of necessary nutrients—Which helps make the oats easier to digest.
Aside from oats, which themselves help lower cholesterol and are high in fiber, these overnight oats are full of nutritious superfoods, like:
- chia seeds—rich omega-3s, antioxidants, fiber, plant-based protein, as well as calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and zinc.
- flaxseed—high in fiber and plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseeds are also used to lower cholesterol and can improve skin and hair health.
- blueberries—are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, and manganese. They are also thought to reduce the risk of heart disease and improve cognitive function.
- almond butter—contains protein, fiber, healthy fats, as well as calcium, iron, and potassium
- cinnamon—provides antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. It’s also used to aid digestion and thought to lower blood pressure. Cinnamon is rich in manganese and fiber, among several other vitamin and minerals.
Adding all of these nutrient-dense ingredients in with the oats make these superfood overnight oats the perfect choice when you’re wanting to make a healthy and wholesome breakfast ahead of time. This recipe makes 2–3 servings, and since it keeps well in the fridge, you could have 2–3 meals of the week already figured out!
If you’re a fan of oats, scroll past the recipe for more ideas! Hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener of choice (more can be used if you like it sweeter)
- 2 tablespoons all natural almond butter or other nut/seed butter, optional
- 1¼ cup unsweetened, plain almond milk or other milk of choice (can use more if you like your oats less thick)
- ½–1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (optional. Can also use another fruit of choice)
- In a large bowl or jar, combine the oats, chia seeds, flaxseed meal, maple syrup, almond butter, and milk, stirring well until thoroughly mixed together. Taste and add additional sweetener if needed.
- Fold in half of the blueberries, saving the additional berries for topping the oatmeal.
- Cover container tightly and refrigerate overnight, or at least several hours.
- Stir before serving, adding an additional splash of milk if oats are too thick. Top with remaining berries and serve. Serves 2–3.
- Adapted from my Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats recipe!