This tart is inspired by s’mores sandwiches with a graham cracker crust, rich chocolate filling, and toasted marshmallow meringue! Perfect dessert to wow your guests!
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs (use gluten-free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 7 tablespoons melted butter (dairy-free can be used)
- 1 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (or heavy cream)
- 10 ounces semi-sweet/milk chocolate, or a combo of both, chopped (use dairy-free if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until crumbly (can also put into a food processor and pulse until crumbly).
- Firmly press the mixture up the sides and bottom of a 10.25″ tart pan. Use the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to press the mixture into the pan (this helps the crust to hold together when slicing.)
- Place tart pan onto a baking sheet and pre-bake crust for 10-12 minutes, or until crust.
- Let crust cool completely while you prepare the filling.
- Since there is no added sweetener, use the chocolate that you enjoy eating alone. If you like more sweet chocolate, use milk chocolate or a combo of milk and semi-sweet/bittersweet chocolate. If you like rich, dark chocolate use semi or bittersweet chocolate.
- Heat coconut milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat, just until it begins to simmer. Turn off stove and add chocolate, vanilla, and salt to the hot milk. Let chocolate sit in the hot milk for 1-2 minutes and then stir together until chocolate is melted and mixture is creamy. Let cool for several minutes before adding the eggs.
- Whisk together eggs in a small bowl. Add a few spoonfuls of chocolate mixture to eggs and mix thoroughly. Add the tempered eggs to the chocolate mixture and blend well.
- Pour the chocolate mixture in to the cooled crust and spread evenly across the crust.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the filling is set but still a little wobbly. Remove to a cooling wrack and cool completely before adding the meringue. Tart can be made the day before and refrigerated until ready to serve. Add the meringue just before serving.
- Place egg whites, sweetener, and cream of tartar into a large bowl and set over a pot of boiling water. Careful not to let the bowl touch the water.
- Whisk the egg whites constantly for 3-5 minutes, until mixture is very warm to the touch.
- Pour egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or large mixing bowl. Begin to beat on low for 1 minute and then slowly increase the speed to high. Beat until mixture begins to fluff up and hold stiff peaks, about 4-6 minutes. Careful not to over-beat.
- Scoop egg white mixture onto the cooled chocolate tart. Swirl and make peaks with the back of a spoon and toast lightly with a kitchen torch. Best if served right away. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container. Serves 10-12.
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: dessert, gluten-free