These simple spelt waffles are easy to make and have only a few wholesome ingredients. Free of eggs, dairy, and refined sugar, these vegan friendly whole grain waffles are delicious and good for you too!
- 2 cups (260g) spelt flour (Not packed; spooned into measuring cup and leveled off. Whole wheat flour can also be used, or up to half all-purpose flour for fluffier waffles.)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour or ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup (355ml) almond milk or other milk of choice (a splash more may be needed if batter is too thick)
- 1/4 cup (59ml) melted coconut oil, avocado oil, or other oil of choice, plus more for greasing pan
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- fresh fruit, maple syrup, chia seeds, nuts, and/or coconut whipped cream, for topping
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine flour, tapioca/flaxseed, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add milk, oil, sweetener and vanilla, stirring just until combined.
- When waffle iron is heated, lightly grease with oil. Scoop batter into the waffle maker and let cook for 1–2 minutes or until center is thoroughly cooked. Repeat until all the batter is used up. Makes about 6–8 small waffles, depending on the size of your iron.
- These can easily be frozen and reheated/toasted later for a quick breakfast.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Vegan