These peanut butter cookies are simple to make and delicious. Slightly crunchy on the outside with a chewy center, these cookies are vegan friendly and include gluten free and refined sugar free options.
- 1/3 cup regular/dairy-free butter (softened) or firm coconut oil*
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter (stir well before measuring if using natural peanut butter**)
- 1 cup coconut sugar or packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour blend – I used King Arthur Flour Measure for Measure GF Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2–3 tablespoons almond milk or other milk of choice (Only use if dough is dry and crumbly. May need to omit if your peanut butter is runny)
- 1/2 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate of choice, melted (optional)
- flaked sea salt, optional
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and peanut butter together until well combined. Mix in the sugar.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, continuing to mix until well blended.
- Depending on the peanut butter you use, you may or may not need to add the extra milk. Beat in milk if dough is dry and crumbly. Dough should be soft and hold together in a ball.
- If dough is too soft and doesn’t hold its shape, add another tablespoon or two of flour.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Scoop dough by the heaping tablespoon onto the cookie sheet about 3″ apart. Press each ball of dough with the back of a fork dipped in sugar or flour in a criss cross pattern to flatten.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 9–12 minutes, or just until lightly browned. Cookies will firm as they cool. Cool thoroughly before handling or they may fall apart.
- Optional: Melt 1/2 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate according to package directions. Dip or drizzle cookies in melted chocolate and sprinkle with flaked sea salt
- Recipe inspiration: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/11214/eggless-peanut-butter-cookies/
*coconut oil adds a slight coconut taste and may spread more while baking.
**I’ve used natural peanut butter and, though delicious, may cause the cookies to spread more as they bake.
- Category: Cookies, Gluten-Free, Vegan