This simple chocolate bundt cake is moist, delicious, and made in one-bowl! Top with your favorite glaze (chocolate one included) or a light dusting of powdered sugar. Vegan friendly with gluten free and refined sugar free options.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- 2 1/4 cups coconut sugar or pure cane sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee or additional milk
- 3/4 cup oil of choice if using coconut oil, melt first
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate or mini chocolate chips, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips (milk, semi-sweet, or bittersweet)
- 2–3 tablespoons milk of choice (I used almond milk, but canned coconut milk and heavy cream work well)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1–2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey, to sweeten (only if needed)
Chocolate Glaze Option 2:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice, more may be needed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Generously grease 10–12 cup bundt pan with shortening. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in milk, coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla, stirring until batter is smooth. Fold in chocolate.
- Pour batter into pan and place pan pan on baking sheet. Place into oven on middle rack and bake for 40–55 minutes, just until the center of the cake is set and a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out with only a few moist crumbs. Bake time will vary based upon the pan you use and your oven. Begin checking on the cake at around 40 minutes.
- Let cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10–15 minutes. Lightly pat the sides of the pan to help loosen the cake, then invert cake onto a wire rack or cake plate to cool completely before drizzling with glaze.
Glaze option 1:
- Combine chocolate, 2 tablespoons milk, and butter in a microwaveable dish. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring well in between, until chocolate is fully melted (about 30-90 seconds, depending on your microwave.) Add additional warm milk if needed to thin. Alternatively, you can heat mixture over the stove in a double boiler.
- Can stir in a little maple syrup/honey or powdered sugar if you want it sweeter.
Glaze option 2:
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk in melted butter and 1 tablespoon of milk. Add additional milk, if needed, until you get your desired consistency. Stir in vanilla.
- Category: dessert, cake, refined sugar free, vegan