These pancakes are simple to make and are filled with sweet juicy blueberries! Top with my easy blueberry sauce for even more berry flavor! Vegan friendly with a gluten-free option.
- 1 1/3 cup milk (a little more may be needed depending on the flour you use)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup (220g) gluten-free 1 to 1 flour or unbleached all-purpose flour (I used Bobs Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour)
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- generous pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, melted coconut oil, or other oil of choice (plus more for greasing pan)
- 1–2 cups blueberries
- butter, for spreading on pancakes (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar. Set aside to sour while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Place dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl—flour, baking powder, and salt. Add maple syrup, oil, and sour milk, whisking just until combined. If batter is too thick, add a few more tablespoons of milk.
- Preheat griddle or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Brush a little oil over the pan to keep it from sticking. I prefer oil over butter, because butter can burn easily and give your pancakes a bitter taste. Save the butter for spreading on top at the end.
- Scoop batter onto the hot griddle by 1/4 or 1/3 cupfuls, depending on how large you like your pancakes. Sprinkle a generous amount of blueberries onto the raw side of the pancake in the pan and press blueberries into the batter so that they’ll sit in the middle of your pancake (like in the 2nd photo above.)
- When the edges begin to look done, flip the pancake and cook until the center is fully cooked. Repeat with remaining batter. Top with blueberry sauce or maple syrup and serve. Makes about 8–12 pancakes, depending on how large you make them.
- Place 1 cup of blueberries in a medium saucepan, along with water/juice and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Mash berries to release their juices and then sweeten to taste.
- Stir in other cup of blueberries and cornstarch/water slurry.
- Continue cooking for a few more minutes, until sauce has thickened. If sauce is too thick, add a little more water. Serve hot over pancakes.
- Category: breakfast, vegan, gluten-free