This simple asparagus tart is easy to make, has only a handful of ingredients, and is so delicious! Can easily be made dairy-free/vegan friendly by using dairy-free cream cheese.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 8 oz. regular/dairy-free cream cheese or mascarpone, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2–3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- salt and pepper
- Chive blossoms, for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper onto the counter and lightly dust with flour.
- Transfer the thawed sheet of puff pastry to the parchment and roll out into a large rectangle, roughly 10″ or 12″ x 16″.
- Score a 1-inch border around the pastry and use a fork to prick all over the center of the rectangle (see video above for how-to.)
- Bake puff pastry for 15 minutes, until lightly golden.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, red onion, and chives.
- Spread all over the center of the puff pastry, leaving the one inch border plain.
- Top with asparagus spears and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bake 20–30 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Remove and let cool slightly before serving. Top with chive blossoms, if desired. Makes 6–8 servings.
- Category: Vegan, Dairy Free, Entree