These simple salmon burgers are made with fresh salmon and topped with chunky guacamole. They’re healthy, delicious, and can easily be made paleo/whole30 friendly by omitting the bun.
- 1 1/4 lbs. fresh or frozen Alaska salmon, skin removed (I used Alaska sockeye salmon. Roughly 4 fillets)
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, use more or less to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons avocado oil or cooking oil of choice
- chunky guacamole, recipe below
- lettuce of choice for burgers, optional (I used mixed baby greens)
- burger buns, (warmed just before serving) optional
- 2 extra-large ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes or 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, add more or less to taste
- juice of 1–2 limes or lemons, to taste
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- generous pinch or two of salt, to taste
- pinch of pepper
- Place skinless salmon fillet(s) on cutting board and chop until pieces are finely diced.
- Place chopped salmon in a large bowl, along with flaxseed, green onions, dijon mustard, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon or by hand, until mixture begins to bind together. The flaxseed will begin to absorb the liquid and help to hold mixture together.
- Divide mixture into four even portions and shape into patties.
- Place a NON-STICK pan or skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add a drizzle of oil to the pan.
- Place patties Into the pan, cooking 3 or 4 minutes per side, until center is cooked. Careful not to overcook or burgers can become dry.
- In a large bowl, combine diced avocado, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, juice of 1 lime, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir well. Taste and add additional lime or extra salt/pepper, to taste. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Place salmon burgers on buns or bed of lettuce (for grain-free/whole30 friendly). Top burgers with a generous scoop of guacamole and serve.
- Category: Main Dish, Gluten-Free