This vibrant soup is comforting and flavorful. Made with purple sweet potatoes, cauliflower, & carrots, but any color will do if you cannot find purple veggies. Free of gluten, grains, & dairy. Vegan and paleo friendly.
- avocado or coconut oil for drizzling in the pan
- 4–5 cups medium sized cauliflower florets (any color)
- 2 heaping cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (purple or orange)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced fennel bulb
- 4–6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped (purple or orange)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 48 oz. low sodium chicken or vegetable broth, more may be needed
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place cauliflower florets and sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Place on the bottom rack of the oven for 30 minutes, flipping veggies midway through baking, until veggies have began to caramelize and are slightly tender.
- To make the soup base, drizzle a little oil into a large dutch oven/pot and place on the stove over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Stir in fennel, garlic, and carrots. Continue to cook vegetables until fragrant and slightly wilted.
- Add roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes to the pot. Pour in enough broth to generously cover all the veggies, about 6-8 cups. Bring soup to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer until large vegetables are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork, about 10-15 minutes. Season broth with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer soup to a high-powered blender (may need to do a few batches) and blend until creamy. Add additional broth to thin or seasoning, if needed.
- Serve soup warm. Optional: top with homemade croutons (bread cubes pan-fried with a little butter), quality olive oil, yogurt, coconut cream, or sprigs of fennel.
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Main, Gluten-Free, Vegan