A refreshing raspberry green tea lemonade with chia seeds! It’s both healthy and delicious!
I am a sucker for overpriced drinks. I seriously should’ve bought stock in Starbucks. Lately, I’ve been loving these bottled chia drinks at the checkout line. It’s one little yummy treat I get all to myself (that is, unless my husband’s around!)
$4 here and there does start to add up though. The good news is that it’s very easy to make them at home. The even better news is that it’s just as delicious AND more cost effective! Your wallet says “yay!”
I wanted to make a refreshing flavor combination using simple ingredients, preferably ones I already had on hand. I decided to use green tea, raspberries, lemons, honey, and chia seeds. I think it made a wonderful combination too!
This drink is not only delicious, it packs a powerful nutritional punch:
- Green tea contains helpful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C and can help flush the body of toxins
- Raspberries also contain antioxidants, many nutritious vitamins, and help with digestion
- Chia Seeds are a superfood high in fiber, antioxidant rich, and full of omega-3 fatty acids
In order to get the chia seeds evenly dispersed, it’s best to gel the chia seeds in water before mixing them with the other liquids. Otherwise they will sink to the bottom and then you’ll get big clumps of chia gel in your last few sips. That even sounds gross to me..and I love chia seeds!
When the seeds are gelled and have soaked up all of the water, it should be thick and pudding-like. That’s when you know they’re ready to mix with the raspberry tea and lemon juice. Mix it together and serve immediately or chill until ready to use.
*Gelling the chia seeds takes several hours, so prepare it and let it sit in the fridge overnight, if possible.
It’s that easy, friends. Although, I must warn you, this drink is so yummy you may need to double the recipe (especially if you have to share:) The flavor possibilities are endless too. I can’t wait to test out some new combinations! Hope you all enjoy this deliciously refreshing chia drink!
- 1 cup purified water
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 green tea bags steeped in 1 cup water and cooled
- 1 cup raspberries boiled with ¼ cup water
- juice of 2 lemons, about ½ cup
- ¼ cup honey or other sweetener of choice, possibly more to taste
- Combine 1 cup purified water with 3 tablespoons of chia seeds.The chia seeds need several hours to gel, so do this ahead of time, the day before if possible.
- Steep green tea bags in 1 cup of hot water for 2-3 minutes. Discard tea bags and let cool.
- In a saucepan, combine raspberries with ¼ cup water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Mash raspberries to release their juices. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and mash out as much juice as possible. Discard raspberry pulp. Combine the raspberry juice with the green tea.
- In a small pitcher or bowl, blend together chia gel, raspberry green tea, lemon juice, and sweetener. Add more sweetener, to taste. Serve immediately or chill slightly before serving. Makes 2 servings.