Vibrant purple sweet potato casserole topped with toasted pecans and a maple sweetened marshmallow meringue. This beautiful side dish is free of gluten, grains, dairy, and refined sugar!
Sweet Potato Casserole:
- 3 large (about 3 lbs) purple or regular orange sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup maple syrup or coconut sugar, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter (dairy-free butter can be used)
- 1/2–1 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Sweet Potato Casserole:
- Place cubed sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil lover medium-high heat and boil 12-15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and place potatoes back into the pot.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Add butter, salt, and vanilla extract to drained potatoes and mash with a potato masher or beat with an eclectic mixer. A splash of milk (of choice) may be needed if mixture is too thick.
- Scoop mashed potatoes into a 2 qt. baking dish and spread evenly into the dish. Top with chopped pecans and place into the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until pecans are toasted and potato mixture is heated through.
- While that’s baking, prepare the meringue. Make sure to use a thoroughly cleaned bowls and beaters. Any oily residue can keep the meringue from forming.
- Place egg whites, maple syrup, and salt into a heat-safe bowl and place over a saucepan of boiling water. Bowl should sit right above the water—not touching.
- Whisk egg white mixture until hot to the touch, (about 150-160F on a thermometer) about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour egg white mixture into a large mixing bowl, add vanilla, a pinch of cream of tartar and begin to beat on low for about 1 minute. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form, about 2-4 minutes. Stop and scrape down the sides and gently mix the bottom of the bowl, especially of a stand mixer, where liquid can get trapped.
- Continue to beat on high until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over-beat or mixture will lose it’s volume and become grainy.
- Gently spread meringue evenly onto the sweet potatoes in the pan. Use a kitchen torch to lightly brown the meringue. If you don’t have a torch you can place the pan about 6-8 inches from the broiler and broil until the top is lightly toasted. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: side dish, gluten-free, dairy-free