A creamy pumpkin pie with black sesame. Free of dairy and refined sugar, and includes a gluten free crust recipe.
- double crust recipe (recipe here and gluten-free recipe here. Half the recipe if you don’t plan to make cutouts to decorate.)
- 2 1/2 cups homemade (recipe below) or canned pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other milk of choice
- 3 eggs + one additional egg for egg wash (optional)
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ginger, according to your taste
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons black sesame seeds, to taste
Homemade Pumpkin Puree:
- 1 3-4 lb sugar, pie, or baking pumpkin
To Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree:
- Wash the pumpkin well and cut the stem off the top. Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds and pulp.
- Place pumpkin cut side down onto a baking sheet and roast in a 375F oven for 45-60 minutes, until it can easily be pierced with a knife.
- Scoop out the soft pulp from the shell and put into a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Store remaining puree in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze for longer storage.
To Make the Crust:
- Prepare a double crust recipe and half the dough. Shape each into a round, flat disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Remove one disc and roll between two large pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap, to about a 12-13″ circle. Transfer to the pie plate and gently fit into the edges of the pan.
- Crimp or flute the edges a little above the rim of the pan to hold all of the filling. Refrigerate the crust until ready to use.
To Make the Filling:
- Preheat oven to 375F. To make the filling, combine pumpkin, maple syrup, milk, eggs, spices and sesame seeds in a large bowl and mix thoroughly until smooth and creamy.
- To make an egg wash, beat 1 egg with a spoonful of milk or water. Brush the crust edges with the egg wash.
- Pour pumpkin filling into the unbaked pie crust and place pie pan onto a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, until filling is just set. Check midway through and lay a piece of
- foil overtop if crust begins to brown too quickly. May need a bit more time, depending on your oven.
- To make cutouts, roll second disc of dough out to about 1/8″ thick. Use cutters dusted with a little flour or a knife to cut shapes out by hand.
- Place cut outs onto a parchment lined baking sheet and lightly brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes, or just until golden brown. Let cool completely before decorating the pie.
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Category: Dessert, Dairy-Free