These pumpkin bars have chunks of chocolate and warm spices! The perfect fall time treat which is free of gluten, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar!
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour* (use gluten-free if needed)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice, or additional cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, fresh or from a can (don’t use pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup oil of choice or melted coconut oil or butter
- flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, plus more for top of batter (use dairy-free chocolate chips if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together dry ingredients—oat flour, coconut sugar, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Add pumpkin puree, coconut oil, flax egg, and vanilla extract, stirring until well combined. If mixture is too dry, add a splash of milk or water. Stir in chocolate chips and then spread batter into prepared pan. Top with additional chocolate chips and bake for 18–22 minutes, or just until center is set. Let cool before cutting into bars. Makes 9–12 bars, depending on how large you cut them. Store in an airtight container in a cool room for 2–3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
*You can make your own oat flour by finely grinding rolled oats in a food processor or coffee grinder! Just be sure to measure the flour out after grinding.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free, Vegan