These no-bake brownies are easy to make and full of wholesome ingredients. Easily customizable and free of gluten, grains, dairy, and refined sugar (depending on which ganache you use).
- 2 1/2 cups walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1/2–3/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder, to taste – I use Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
- generous pinch of salt
- 1–2 tablespoons brewed coffee or water, just enough for mixture to hold together
- optional toppings: crumbled freeze dried raspberries, melted coconut butter (for drizzling), crushed nuts, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, mini chocolate chips, pomegranate arils, flaked sea salt, etc…
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chopped or chips of use dairy-free chocolate if necessary
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (thick cream, if possible)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey, more or less to taste
OR Refined Sugar Free Ganache:
- 1/2 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or other liquid sweetener, to taste
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- pinch of salt
- Combine walnuts and dates in a food processor and blend until mixture is crumbly and no large pieces remain.
- Add cocoa powder and pinch of salt, blending just until incorporated. If using a dark cocoa powder, I suggest starting with the lesser amount and adding more, to taste.
- Add coffee/water 1 tablespoon at a time, adding just enough to make mixture hold together when pressed.
- Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper and press chocolate mixture evenly into the pan. You can use the flat bottom of a glass or measuring cup to press it firmly into the pan. Set aside.
- In a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl, combine together chocolate chips, coconut milk, and maple syrup. Stir continuously over boiling water until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Alternatively, you can place the heat-safe bowl into the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted and smooth. (For the refined sugar free ganache, no need for a double boiler, just mix all ingredients together in a bowl.)
- Pour ganache over the top of the brownies in the pan and use an off-set spatula to spread across evenly.
- Top with toppings of your choice or leave plain, cover, and place into the fridge for 25-30 minutes or until ganache is set.
- Remove brownies from the pan using the parchment paper and slice. Serve at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free, Vegan