These naturally sweetened lemon bars are delicious and full of lemon flavor! They’re also free of eggs and refined sugar, and can easily be made dairy-free and gluten-free as well!
I am a BIG fan of chocolate desserts…chocolate cake, brownies, you name it, I probably love it! But, if you give me the choice between a slice of chocolate cake and a lemon bar, nine times out of ten, I’ll pick the lemon bar!
Lemon desserts are my weakness (which you can probably tell by all of the lemon recipes I have here on the blog!) and lemon bars are definitely on my list of faves!
These lemon bars are naturally sweetened, free of eggs and can be made gluten-free and dairy-free as well!
- Naturally Sweetened: I used a combo of maple syrup and honey in the curd, coconut sugar in the crust. Using all maple syrup will make these vegan friendly. Granulated sugar, although not refined sugar free, will work as well!
- Egg Free: Instead of eggs, I use cornstarch to thicken the curd in these bars. Coconut milk/cream also helps the bars firm up when chilled. I haven’t tried with any other thickeners, so if you give these a try with arrowroot powder or tapioca starch let me know how it goes!
- Gluten-Free: These bars can easily be made gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour. I like King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten-Free Flour Blend or Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Flour Blend.
- Dairy-Free: Using dairy-free butter or coconut oil in the crust will make these totally dairy-free!
These bars are not super sweet, but not overly tart either. If you prefer it less sweet, you could omit the additional two tablespoons of maple syrup. Likewise, if you prefer them more sweet, add an additional 2 tablespoons to make it a full cup of maple syrup/honey.
These lemon bars need chill time to fully firm up. Just like full-fat coconut milk hardens in the fridge, the coconut milk in these bars also helps them firm up when chilled. Because of this, I don’t recommend subbing the canned coconut milk/coconut cream for any other milk.
These bars are simple to make and delicious! Please let me know how it goes if you give them a try! Enjoy 🙂
You may also enjoy these similar recipes:
- These Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting are bursting with citrusy flavor! They’re also vegan friendly and include a gluten free option as well!
- These creamy and delicious Vegan No-Bake Lemon Raspberry Bars are free of eggs, grains, gluten, dairy, and refined sugar. They’re a wholesome treat you can enjoy all summer long.
- This lightly sweetened Lemon Yogurt Bundt Cake is perfectly tender, very moist, and bursting with lemon flavor. It’s also free of dairy and eggs, with a gluten free and refined sugar free option.
- These Healthier Lemon-Blackberry Bars are a perfect balance of tart and sweet. They’re also gluten, dairy, & refined sugar free!