These mixed berry turnovers are easy to make and ready in under 30 minutes! Free of dairy and refined sugar, and vegan friendly.
- 2 cups mixed berries or berry of choice (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or other sweetener of choice (can add more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed if frozen (use a vegan friendly pastry, if needed) Can also use your favorite gf pie crust or this gf puff pastry recipe looks promising!
- egg wash—1 egg + a spoonful of water (just omit if vegan)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place berries and maple syrup into a medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, until berries have begun to release their juices. Mix together orange juice and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth and add to the berry mixture. Continue to cook the berries until sauce has thickened. Remove and let cool.
- Place thawed puff pastry on a sheet of parchment paper and begin to roll several inches larger on all sides. Cut sheet into 6 squares (once lengthwise and then cut the two long strips into thirds).
- Transfer parchment paper with the puff pastry to a large baking sheet.
- Place a large spoonful of the cooled filling into the lower corner of one puff pastry square brush the edges with egg wash (water if vegan). Fold the opposite corner over into a triangle to seal. Use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges together.
- Brush each turnover with more egg wash and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Check halfway through baking and turn the pan around if one side is browning faster than the other. Drizzle glaze over each one and serve. Makes 6 turnovers.
- Mix together softened cream cheese, sweetener, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in milk, a little at a time, until glaze becomes thin enough to drizzle over the turnovers.
- Category: Dessert, Brunch