- 4 large egg whites (careful not to get any yolks)
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- berry coconut cream, recipe below
- 4–5 cups fresh mixed berries of choice
- powdered sugar, optional
- fresh mint, optional
Berry Coconut Cream:
- 1 14 oz. can coconut cream, refrigerated overnight (just need the thick cream that hardens when refrigerated, discard liquid)
- 1 8 oz. container vegan cream cheese (or regular cream cheese), softened
- 3–6 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry powder (from ground freeze-dried berries)
- 2–3 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or other sweetener of choice, to taste
- Preheat oven to 225F. Make sure your bowl and beaters are thoroughly clean and have no greasy residue, which can cause the egg whites not to fluff.
- Place the egg whites and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat the egg whites on high speed until it has become thick and foamy, about 1 minute. Gradually add sugar to the mixer and continue to beat for 5-10 minuntes on high speed, until smooth, glossy, and mixture holds a firm peak when you lift the whisk out of the meringue.
- Sift in cornstarch and add vinegar and vanilla. Carefully fold in with a rubber spatula until well incorporated.
- Place large dollops of meringue onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment. Should make about 9 or 10, depending on how large you make them. Use the back of a spoon to gently create an indent in each meringue which will hold the cream and berries.
- Place meringues into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 60–70 minutes, until dry and crisp on the outside. Turn off heat and leave in the oven to cool down. Pavlovas should be firm on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside.
- Let cool completely before adding the cream and fruit. Top with the berry cream and fresh berries. Give them a dusting of powdered sugar and top with a sprig of fresh mint. Makes 9 or 10 pavlovas.
- Berry Cream:
- Open the cold can of coconut cream and discard any liquid, if any. Remove all of the firm coconut cream and place into your mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high speed for several minutes, until fluffy. Add cream cheese and continue to beat until fluffy. Stir in strawberry powder (so it doesn’t blow everywhere, enough to taste, and mix in enough sweetener to suit your taste.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free