Delicious gluten-free macadamia nut shortbread cookies dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with coconut for a taste of aloha in the comfort of your own kitchen!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened (vegan butter or coconut oil can also be use, but cookies may spread a little more)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour + extra for dusting
- 1 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz. quality white chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon palm shortening or 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup shredded coconut, cacao nibs, sprinkles, etc. for sprinkling
- In a large mixing bowl, combine softened butter and maple syrup. Mix until well blended. Add 2 cups of flour and salt. Blend until well incorporated, about 1-2 minutes, and then mix in vanilla extract and macadamia nuts. Dough should be similar in consistency to the photo above. If your dough is too dry for some reason, you can add a splash of water to bring it together; too loose add flour a tablespoon at a time until it forms a soft dough.
- Roll dough between to large pieces of parchment paper. Dust with a little flour if it gets sticky. Use any cookie cutter to cut out shapes and place 2-inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. I found similar pineapple shaped ones here (double the size, perfect if you want them larger. My cutter is 2-3 inches tall) and here (small like mine).
- Place pans in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill the dough. This helps the cookies hold their shape.
- Ten minutes before baking, preheat oven to 350F. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and center is set. The cookies will be pretty light in color. Allow to cool slightly on the pan and then transfer cookies to a rack to cool thoroughly. They can be crumbly if handled when they’re hot.
- While cookies are cooling, begin to melt your chocolate. Place chocolate and oil in a heat-safe bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir constantly until chocolate and oil are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Dip cooled cookies halfway into the melted chocolate and place on parchment paper or a wire rack. Sprinkle immediately with shredded coconut or other topping of choice before chocolate hardens.
- Stack finished cookies in an airtight container between pieces of parchment or wax paper. Makes about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies, depending on the cutter you use.
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: gluten free, dessert