A cross between a frittata and soufflé, this spin on the classic egg dish is loaded with fresh veggies, a perfect meal for the spring and summer!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, ghee/butter, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped or sliced thin
- 1 bell pepper, chopped or sliced thin
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 medium baked potato, cut up
- 1 cup spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped or sliced
- 8 large, room temperature eggs, separated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- CUSTOMIZABLE OPTIONS: Add cheese, meat, or substitute with different veggies.
- In a large, oven-safe skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the oil or butter. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, just until they begin to soften. Add pepper, zucchini, and generously season with salt and pepper. Cook for several more minutes, until veggies are tender and cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate to cool. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. To the yolks, add cut up baked potato, spinach, and generously season with salt and pepper. If you wanted to add meat or cheese, add it now.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage. It should be fluffy and small “peaks” form when the whisk or beater is lifted. You can use an electric mixer or beat with a whisk by hand. Can take a few minutes, a little longer if doing it by hand.
- Using a rubber scraper, gently fold in a large scoop of the whipped egg whites into the yolk mixture. Continue to fold in scoops of whipped egg whites until it’s all incorporated.
Putting It Together:
- In the same large oven-proof skillet you used earlier, melt the other tablespoon of oil. Brushing it up the sides of the pan. Pour in the egg mixture and allow to “set” over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes. Carefully distribute sautéed veggies and chopped tomato over the egg mixture.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until puffed and lightly brown. Remove and let cool. Serve from the skillet or carefully transfer the frittata to a serving platter. Serve immediately.