These tender shortbread cookies are infused with a bright lime flavor and a delicious way to celebrate the citrus fruit! They’re vegan friendly and includes a gluten and refined sugar free option as well!
- 1/2 (4 oz) cup dairy-free/regular butter (softened), coconut oil, or vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- grated zest of 2 limes + 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- scant 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, for gluten-free: 1 1/2 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend + 1/2 cup superfine almond flour
- 1/2–1 cup powdered sugar (optional; omit for naturally sweetened cookies)
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter/shortening and maple syrup (or powdered sugar) until combined. Mix in lime zest/juice, vanilla extract, salt, then slowly blend in flour, mixing just until well combined.
- Scrape sides down and evenly incorporate any remaining flour into the dough.
- Divide dough onto 2 large sheets of parchment paper, cut out about 12″ long, and roll into a log that’s about 1 1/4–1 1/2″ in diameter (see photos above.) Twist the ends of the parchment paper on either side of the log to secure close and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until chilled.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 1–2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick mat and set aside. Remove chilled cookie dough from refrigerator and unwrap. Slice dough in 1/4″ rounds and place 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12–13 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Let cool slightly before serving.
- If dipping in powdered sugar, toss slightly warm cookies in a bowl or baggie of powdered sugar until coated, shaking off any remaining sugar.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 4–5 days.
To Freeze Cookies:
- Logs of cookie dough can be wrapped again in foil and frozen until ready to bake. Thaw in the refrigerator until thawed enough to slice and bake per directions above.
- Baked cookies (before tossing in powdered sugar) can be wrapped well and frozen for 4–6 weeks. Just thaw and enjoy.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies, Gluten Free