A tender, gluten-free crust is filled with a simple, honey-sweetened meyer lemon curd! Topped with fresh berries and a colorful flowers, this dessert is the perfect spring time treat!
- 1 cup gf all-purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flourone !important; margin:0px !important;” />)
- 1/2 cup finely ground almond flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1–2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, just until dough holds together
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup honey, maple syrup, or other sweetener of choice (1/3 cup was plenty for my taste)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup meyer lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (can use dairy-free)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Blend together flours and salt. Use a fork or pastry blender to cut coconut oil into the flour mixture. Mix in honey/maple syrup a tablespoon at a time, blending until mixture holds together when pressed.
- Evenly divide mixture between four individual tart pans (mine were 4.5″. Can also use one 8″ tart pan). Use the bottom of a flat glass or measuring cup to press the crust firmly into the bottom and sides of the tart pans.
- Place tart pans onto a baking sheet and place into the oven to partially bake the crusts for 8-10 minutes. Remove and let cool while you make the lemon filling.
- Place eggs, egg yolks, honey, pinch of salt, and lemon juice into a medium heavy bottomed sauce pan and mix together well. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened and reads about 175 degrees F on a thermometer, should take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until evenly incorporated.
- Distribute the filing between the partially baked tart shells and place back into the oven for 15-20 minutes, until center is set but still jiggles slightly when moved. Cool slightly and then refrigerate throughly before serving. Top with fresh berries or meringue and serve. Makes four individual tarts or one 8-inch tart. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Place egg whites, sweetener, and cream of tartar into a medium heat-safe bowl and set over a small pot of boiling water. Careful not to let the bowl touch the water.
- Whisk the egg whites constantly for 3-5 minutes, until mixture is very warm to the touch.
- Pour egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or large mixing bowl. Begin to beat on low for 1 minute and then slowly increase the speed to high. Beat until mixture begins to fluff up and hold stiff peaks, about 4-6 minutes. Careful not to over-beat.
- Scoop egg white mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large round or star tip and pipe designs over the cooled, baked tart. Lightly toast with a kitchen torch.
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free