An easy breakfast hash made with 5 wholesome ingredients. Simply omit the egg to keep it vegan/vegetarian.
Potato Kale Breakfast Hash:
- 2–4 tablespoons oil (I like using avocado, light olive or coconut oil)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups chopped kale, with stems removed
- 1–2 cloves of garlic, minced
- generous amount of salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking oil, just enough to coat the pan
- eggs, 1 or 2 per person
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. When pan is heated, add diced potatoes, onions, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Sauté mixture for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring often, until onions begin to turn translucent. Pour in about 1/2 cup water and cover pan with a lid to let steam, turning up heat if needed to create steam. When liquid has evaporated, potatoes should be mostly tender. Stir in chopped kale and minced garlic. Continue to sauté until potatoes are tender and kale is wilted. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- While the hash is cooking, start on the eggs. Drizzle a little oil into a seasoned cast-iron skillet or non-stick pan and place on the stove over medium-high heat. If your pan is large enough, you can cook several eggs at a time, just make sure to give them enough room in the pan so they don’t meld together. When pan is hot, crack an egg(s) into the pan. Let cook just until the bottom begins to set and turn white, 30-60 seconds. Turn down heat to low and place a lid halfway over the pan. I keep the lid cracked so that the steam can escape. This helps the yolk to set, but stay runny. If you like a more cooked yolk, you can cover the pan with the lid entirely. Continue to cook on low heat until the yolk is cooked to your liking, about 3-5 minutes.
- To serve, place a generous portion of the breakfast hash on a plate and top with the eggs. Makes enough for 3-4 servings
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free