This simple Mexican inspired dish is perfect for breakfast or brunch and is quick to make! Gluten and dairy free too!
- 6–8 corn tortillas, warmed. Can use homemade or store-bought (I made this blue corn recipe using spelt flour.)
- seasoned black beans, recipe below
- avocado , coconut, or other cooking oil
- 1–2 eggs per person
- salt and pepper
- salsa, for topping
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, & sliced
- fresh cilantro, for topping
- fresh tomatoes, for topping (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Seasoned Black Beans:
- 1 tablespoon avocado or coconut oil (or another cooking oil of choice)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 small onion or 1/4 of a large onion)
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup water or chicken broth, a splash more may be needed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch of ground cumin
- pinch of ground cayenne pepper, optional
Seasoned Black Beans:
- Drizzle oil into a medium sized saucepan and place onto the stove over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the drained beans and water/broth. Bring the liquid to a low boil over medium-high heat, cover and let the beans cook until liquid has thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. If beans get too thick, just stir in a little more water/broth. Remove from heat and keep covered until ready to use.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, gently pour eggs into the skillet, one at a time, letting each one set before adding the other. Cook until the white is opaque and the yolk has set, about 1 to 2 minutes. To cook the tops more, partially cover the pan with a lid. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Putting it together:
- To serve, place 1-2 warm tortillas on a plate and top with black beans, salsa, fried eggs, avocado, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro. Serve right away.
I also added sliced radish, because I had some on hand, but they are not a traditional topping.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: breakfast, brunch, gluten free, dairy free