An easy and delicious recipe for Apple-Cinnamon Waffles! Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, these yummy waffles are vegan friendly as well as gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (for gluten-free: 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend + 1/2 cup blanched almond flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil, plus more for waffle iron
- 1 tablespoon of flax meal mixed with 2 tablespoons of water (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice (add more if batter is too thick)
Sauteed Apples: (optional)
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut oil or other oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2–3 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
- 3 medium apples, cored and sliced
Apple Cider Syrup: (optional)
- 1 cup unfiltered apple cider
- 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 2–3 tablespoons sweetener of choice (use more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix in sweetener, oil, flax egg, applesauce, lesser amount of milk until thoroughly combined. Add the additional milk if your batter is too thick.
- Brush coconut oil/butter or spray non-stick spray onto your waffle iron to keep waffles from sticking. Depending on the size of your waffle iron, pour batter by the 1/2-1 cupfuls onto your hot waffle iron (Don’t add too much, it’ll spread when you close the top) and cook until golden brown. Place cooked waffles on a cooling rack so they keep their crispness.
- Grease well in between batches to keep waffles from sticking.
- You can also set your oven to the lowest temperature and place waffles on a baking sheet in the oven to keep them warm. Yields 3-4 six-inch round waffles.
- In a large saute pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Stir in cinnamon and sweetener, blending well.
- Add apples and cook until tender, stirring often. Serve on top of cooled waffles.
Apple Cider Syrup:
- Place a small saucepan on the stove. Pour in apple cider and cook over medium-high heat. Stir in cornstarch slurry, sweetener, and cinnamon, stirring well.
- Continue to cook, stirring often, until syrup has thickened. Remove from heat and let cool before transferring to a serving pitcher.
- Serve with waffles and sautéed apples.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast, vegan, gluten free