A delicious puff pastry tart with flavorful pesto and fresh tomatoes. Simple, delicious, and perfect as a light meal or appetizer. Can easily adapt to be vegan and/or gf as well!
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (can use gluten-free puff pastry)
- Power Greens Pesto (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or other cheese of choice (can use dairy-free version)
- 2–3 heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6–8 baby heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Power Green Pesto:
- 2 packed cups Earthbound Farm Organic Power Greens
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or other nut of choice
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, optional (can use dairy-free version)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (about 1 1/2 teaspoon)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 clove garlic (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quality olive oil, more may be needed to thin
- In bowl of a food processor, combine power greens, almonds, cheese, lemon juice + zest, garlic, and salt. Blend until combined, scraping down sides as needed. While blending, slowly pour in oil. Scrape down sides and blend again. Pour pesto into an airtight jar or container and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. On a piece of parchment paper, roll a sheet of puff pastry into a large rectangle, about 10”x15”. Place parchment with puff pastry onto a large baking sheet and top generously with pesto, leaving about a 1/2” border around edges. If pesto is too thick to spread, stir in a little more olive oil. Sprinkle cheese over pesto, then top with tomato slices. Generously season tomatoes with salt and pepper, then place pan in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before slicing. Serve with remaining pesto.
- Category: Appetizer, Entree, Vegetarian