Homemade cranberry-apple compote sweetened with fruit and pure maple syrup. SO much tastier and healthier than cranberry sauce from the can!
- 3 cups (12 ounces) fresh cranberries, rinsed*
- 1/2 gala apple, peeled and diced small (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- grated zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- 1–2 cinnamon sticks, optional
- Add cleaned cranberries, diced apple, maple syrup, orange juice, lemon juice & zest, and cinnamon sticks to a medium-large saucepan. I used gala, because it’s a sweet apple, but any other sweet apple should do. Bring to a boil over medium-high, stirring often. When the cranberries begin to pop, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use. Yields about 3 cups.
- *I reserve 1/2 cup of the cranberries and add it in halfway through cooking so that there are whole cranberries in the sauce. This does add a few tart bites every so often, which I like, so do this only if you like the tart taste of cranberries!