This simple dessert is perfect for individual servings and takes less than 5 minutes from start to finish! I included a gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free variations as well!
Vanilla Mug Cake:*
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose blend – I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour, 5 Pound, in the blue bag
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoons oil – I used melted coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING—
- 2 tablespoons solid coconut oil – use refined for less coconut flavor
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa or cacao (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup or honey (more or less to taste)
- Mix together coconut oil, cocoa, and sweetener. Frost cooled mug cake as desired.
- STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE—
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped strawberries to batter
- For topping—whip 2–3 tablespoons chilled coconut cream or heavy whipping cream with 1/2 teaspoon honey, maple syrup or sugar. Top with whipped cream and additional fresh berries.
- add 1/2—1 tablespoon naturally dyed sprinkles to cake batter
- In a mug, blend together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add sweetener, oil, and vanilla. Pour in a little milk and mix until smooth. Add the rest of the milk and mix just until well blended. Be sure to get the bottom corners as flour pockets tend to get stuck in the crevices.
- Place mug into the microwave and heat at 50% power/half power for 90–120 seconds. This helps the cake to stay tender and not get chewy. If you don’t have a way to change the power, heat for 45–60 seconds. Keep an eye on it and take it out as soon as the cake has risen and is top is firm to the touch. Time may vary depending on the strength of your microwave. If it is not done in the amount of time listed, continue to cook in 15–20 second intervals until the cake is cooked.
- For flavor variations, mix fruit or sprinkles into the cake batter before microwaving. Fresh fruit may take a little longer because of the added moisture.
*I doubled the recipe in the mugs pictured.
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 2 mins
- Category: Dessert, Vegan, Gluten Free